Our teachers use various brainstorming and ideation techniques to come up with innovative ideas. At BeeCreative, we believe that creativity can be learned and we encourage our team members to trust the process. Here, we are sharing some brainstorming techniques that we use.
First of all, here are a couple of things to keep in mind during the ideation process.
1. Quantity over Quality – Come up with as many ideas as you can.
2. Defer Judgement – Don’t judge ideas right away. Instead, encourage ideas even if they sound silly.
3. Unusual Ideas – Come up with unusual alternatives for everyday use materials.
4. Natural Association – Don’t force an idea but follow the natural flow of ideas.
Here are a few techniques along with examples that explain the process.
1. Listing – This is the simplest of the techniques and it comes naturally to everyone. One element we add when we do it with our team is time. It’s amazing that in such a short period of time, we can come up with a lot of ideas.
2. Mind Maps – This is also a simple technique and the flow is driven by natural association of ideas.
3. Cross Association – Building on the idea of mind maps, you can slightly modify it to come up with unusual ideas by combining ideas from multiple mind maps.
4. Brainsketch – This technique is really fun and encourages participants to use visual thinking strategies to share their ideas.
You might be wondering how these brainstorming techniques can be integrated in your projects. Here are a few examples of how our students use these techniques to build their projects.
Iterative Design Cycle
Homework the Game
Happy Making! 😀